Three-time Olympian / NBA Champion and Australia’s first ever NBA player, Luc Longley.
Today marks the 20th anniversary of Michael Jordan‘s (first) NBA return. I’m delighted to welcome back Luc Longley to the podcast. We discuss his recollections of the hoopla surrounding MJ’s return to the Chicago Bulls, following Jordan’s 1993 retirement.
This conversation is much more than simply chatting about Jordan’s comeback. We also delve deeper into Luc’s career with the Bulls and reminisce about some of Chicago’s memorable playoff series’, versus:
– Orlando Magic (1995: Bulls’ shock exit and Horace Grant‘s post-series celebration)
– Orlando Magic (1996: Chicago’s four-game sweep and Luc’s match-up against Shaquille O’Neal).
Further, I share my story about meeting Luc in 1991 and he talks fondly about the friendships he developed playing alongside memorable teammates, including Bill Cartwright, John Paxson and B.J. Armstrong. We find time to talk about his assistant coaching role with the Australian Boomers, the future of basketball in Australia and the importance of players like Andrew Bogut, Patty Mills, Joe Ingles and Dante Exum.
We also reference a great article that recently appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald, titled, “Luc Longley – from running with the Chicago Bulls to falling in love with basketball again”. You can read the feature here (written by David Sygall).
Oh, and Luc totally tricks me into believing a ludicrous story about Jordan, that somehow I didn’t even bat an eyelid at. This is a really enjoyable chat.
Editor’s note: sign-up for the monthly newsletter – receive exclusive details on upcoming podcast episodes and future, high-profile guests to appear on the show.
I appreciate all feedback, FB Page ‘Likes’ and iTunes ratings / reviews.
Adam is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com | If you click-through and purchase any item (store-wide – within 24 hours), it helps support his site and podcast – importantly, at no additional cost to you. Thank you.
Latest posts by Adam Ryan (see all)
- NB87-6 – December 31, 1986, through January 14, 1987 – Michael Jordan’s third NBA season | Podcast - July 19, 2017
- AIR078: Chris Engler – University of Wyoming standout, five-year NBA veteran and international basketballer | Podcast - June 28, 2017
- AIR077: Andrew Bernstein – Senior NBA Photographer | Podcast - May 24, 2017