He hasn’t played a single minute in the NBA. However, Andrew Bernstein is a perennial contender for league MVP (Most Valuable Photographer). The 2017 NBA Finals marked the 35th-consecutive time that Andrew has covered the Association’s showcase event.
We discuss Andrew’s rise from amateur shutterbug – his love for the camera was fostered by a (teenage) trip to the Western United States with his dad – to becoming one of the world’s greatest sports photographers.
Highlights of our conversation include Andrew’s memories of an iconic rendition of the national anthem at his first All-Star Game (1983), his crucial involvement in creating the (taken from his bio) position of Senior Director of NBA Photos – a position he held for 25 years – a discussion about the meteoric changes in camera technology over recent decades and of course, he details wonderful stories behind how some of his most-historic photos came to be.
Topics / links discussed (include):
- Marvin Gaye’s amazing performance at the 1983 NBA All-Star Game
- Follow Andrew’s wonderful output on Instagram:
Editor’s note: sign-up for the monthly newsletter – receive exclusive details on upcoming podcast episodes and future, high-profile guests to appear on the show.
I appreciate all feedback, FB Page ‘Likes’ and iTunes ratings / reviews.
Adam is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com | If you click-through and purchase any item (store-wide – within 24 hours), it helps support his site and podcast – importantly, at no additional cost to you. Thank you.
Latest posts by Adam Ryan (see all)
- NB87-6 – December 31, 1986, through January 14, 1987 – Michael Jordan’s third NBA season | Podcast - July 19, 2017
- AIR078: Chris Engler – University of Wyoming standout, five-year NBA veteran and international basketballer | Podcast - June 28, 2017
- AIR077: Andrew Bernstein – Senior NBA Photographer | Podcast - May 24, 2017