Today is a sad day for longtime NBA fans, with the passing of Jim Durham. ‘JD’ was only 65 years old. My fondest memories of Durham are from his time as play-by-play man for the Chicago Bulls TV & radio networks in the 1980′s and early 1990′s.
Durham’s most famous call will be forever linked to Michael Jordan – 1989′s ‘The Shot’. My words simply won’t do it justice, so let’s hear it from JD himself. Here’s an excellent clip uploaded by ESPN – two iconic Jordan moments, as called by the unmistakable voice of the one and only Jim Durham:
Other signature Jim Durham calls burnt into my memory include:
- “Michael into the front-court…”
- “…rimming – no” / “rimming – yes”
- “…book it”.
Just last year, Durham was presented with the Curt Gowdy Media Award – for his contribution to the sport – from the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. Accepting the award, he was as unassuming as ever, telling a great story or two about those he had the pleasure of working with throughout his career – including the great Johnny ‘Red’ Kerr.
Rest in peace, Jim Durham. Your voice and Michael Jordan’s career are forever entwined.
Do you have a favourite moment from JD’s amazing broadcasting career that comes to mind?
Please note: some of the links on this site, are affiliate links. If you purchase an item, it helps support my site and podcast – importantly, at no additional cost to you. Thanks.
Latest posts by Adam Ryan (see all)
- AIR043: Bill Cartwright – NCAA All-American, All-Star and five-time NBA Champion | Podcast - February 25, 2014
- AIR042: Kendall Gill – Illinois great, All-American and NBA star | Podcast - February 10, 2014
- AIR041: Eddie Johnson – NBA Sixth Man of the Year, Illinois great, TV analyst and author | Podcast - January 27, 2014