Today is a sad day for longtime NBA fans, with the passing of Jim Durham. ‘JD’ was only 65 years old. My fondest memories of Durham are from his time as play-by-play man for the Chicago Bulls TV & radio networks in the 1980’s and early 1990’s.
Durham’s most famous call will be forever linked to Michael Jordan – 1989’s ‘The Shot’. My words simply won’t do it justice, so let’s hear it from JD himself. Here’s an excellent clip uploaded by ESPN – two iconic Jordan moments, as called by the unmistakable voice of the one and only Jim Durham:
Other signature Jim Durham calls burnt into my memory include:
– “Michael into the front-court…”
– “…rimming – no” / “rimming – yes”
– “…book it”.
Just last year, Durham was presented with the Curt Gowdy Media Award – for his contribution to the sport – from the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. Accepting the award, he was as unassuming as ever, telling a great story or two about those he had the pleasure of working with throughout his career – including the great Johnny ‘Red’ Kerr.
Rest in peace, Jim Durham. Your voice and Michael Jordan’s career are forever entwined.
Do you have a favourite moment from JD’s amazing broadcasting career that comes to mind?
Adam is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com | If you click-through and purchase any item (store-wide – within 24 hours), it helps support his site and podcast – importantly, at no additional cost to you. Thank you.
Latest posts by Adam Ryan (see all)
- AIR079: Jerry Reynolds – NYC Player of the Year, LSU great and eight-year NBA veteran | Podcast - December 13, 2017
- NB87-8 – January 30 through February 13, 1987 – Michael Jordan’s third NBA season | Podcast - September 14, 2017
- NB87-7 – January 15 through 29, 1987 – Michael Jordan’s third NBA season | Podcast - August 31, 2017